Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I just bought a 2004 endevor. When I put gas in it, it wont

Customer Question

I just bought a 2004 endevor. When I put gas in it, it wont start
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 12 months ago.

When the car has sat afterward (for example a day later etc) does the engine start OK by comparison? Basically, the condition is fairly strictly right after you put fuel in?

Expert:  Doug replied 12 months ago.

It looks like we missed each other.... if I am understanding correctly that this is only an issue in the periods directly after filling the tank (and it stops either a start or two later or once the tank has gone down 1/16-1/8th), then this will be an evaporative malfunction. The evaporative system is there to help burn/consume excess fuel vapors in the tank, however when the system malfunctions it can result in symptoms like this.

The two primary components of the system are a vent valve behind the back bumper and a purge valve on the intake. When the system needs to burn off vapor the vent valve closes to seal the system, then the purge valve opens to draw vacuum on tank and pull vapors into the intake. If the vent valve sticks closed it will cause vapor build up, and if the purge valve leaks it will allow vacuum at the wrong times which can cause vapor to enter the engine when unwanted.

With that all said, there is one issue we happen on this model A LOT which could very well be your issue too. On this model it is incredibly common (as in I run into this at least once a month) for people to change the spark plugs and during reassembly get two of the hoses reversed. When this happens the PCV vent gets connected to the fuel vapor line to the tank, and the end result is that when the fuel tank is refilled it pushes all the vapor in the tank into the intake making it nearly impossible to get started. Given that this happens so frequently on this model, it is where I would start.

You can check this yourself fairly easily. With the hood up locate the large rubber intake hose on the engine, you will see a small rubber hose attached to the back of it. Follow the small rubber hose to see where the other end is connected; it should go down and over toward the engine, connecting to the top of the rear valve cover. If it goes down and away from the engine and connects to a pipe on the firewall (the most common misrouting), this is incorrect.

Looking at the two hoses in the area, one should go from the rubber intake hose to the valve cover, the other should go from the pipe on the firewall to the pipe above/behind the throttle body. If they are reversed which is very possible, correcting them will correct the hard starting after fill ups. If they are routed correctly already, then you would want to have the two evaporative valves inspected as one is likely malfunctioning. Start with the hoses though, they are that common.