Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander SE with 95000 miles on

Customer Question

Hey Doug! I have a 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander SE with 95000 miles on it. Last night, we went to a hockey game and my daughter wanted to sit in the car for a while and charge her phone (darn teenagers). So she sat there for appx 20 minutes and the key was on but engine not running during that time. She was getting cold so she wanted to start the car and when she tried, it only clicked and the ASC service required light came on along with the Service Engine light. She called me so I came out to assess. Lights were dim also. Hubby arrived shortly after and he noted that the battery cables were loose on the battery. He hooked up jumper cables and it took right off. ASC light disappeared but service engine light stayed on. We left it sit and went in to the game. When we came out afterwards, it started immedidately and the service light was off. We have not had time to put our code reader on it yet (will do so later) but is it possible that a very low battery can trigger the ASC light?? I believe the battery has at least 30,000 miles on it so it could be going bad too but didn't know if it could trigger the ASC light?? Your thoughts would be appreciated
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the low voltage is capable of setting warning lights in the ASC/ABS system, the SRS system and the MFI systems. I would still go ahead and scan it (about 90% odds the codes will still be there), but the likelihood of it being anything other than voltage related (IG voltage low, pump voltage low, etc) are very slim.

I would definitely at least load test if not replace the battery though. It should not have gone that low (that it couldn't start the car) after 20 minutes, even if the key was fully on (as opposed to ACC). It is likely on its way south.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...so can we keep this open until after we get a chance to run the codes? If it is a battery related issue, what would the code most likely be?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely, I'll be here if you need more help of course.
For a 2011 I would expect to see something like:
P0221 (throttle voltage plausibility)
P0620 Generator circuit
P0622 Generator FR

P1603 Battery backup
P1609 Battery current
Pretty much any U code (bus time out) like U1100

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

It all depends on what level of discharge we were at. For example you could have voltage high enough the computers/bus didn't have a shut down, but the resulting sensor voltages (being scaled down from their reference voltage) read low instead.
The big thing is the light went out.... meaning the odds of it being battery related and once the voltage was normalized the code cleared is pretty high. It would be unlikely to be some "other" problem completely unrelated to the event.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

I am stepping out briefly for a break; if I am not here when you reply/update I will get back with you as soon as I am in.

No need to reply to this post otherwise :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...so it came up with a P1590 code....what would that mean
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** almost definitely be related.
P1590 is a torque reduction request due to a communication problem between the engine ECM and the transmission TCM.

Basically the power drops low enough that some of the computers can't stay online, this code sets. The alternative would be a physical wiring/bus issue which would not only be terribly unlikely, it would not likely go away either. The power supply being too low to maintain communication however would go away once the voltage is restored to 12V+ and the key is cycled once or twice without the power dropping again.