Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a n33w 1995 chariot with idle problem. Sometimes it

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. I have a n33w 1995 chariot with idle problem. Sometimes it will start surging. More so when the Air Conditioning is turned on. Can you please help
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It only does it sometimes and cant seem to pinpoint what is up with it. If I unplug the throttle body plug it does come right and idles at about 1000 rpm. Have checked the gears in the idle control unit and that looks ok, Bit stumped now as I have also been told there are no fault codes.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mitsubishi Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Thats fine thanks
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you are probably on the right course with the idle valve on the throttle body malfunctioning. They are common failure points on these vehicles.

Before replacing it however I would first double check your belt timing is correct... if it has slipped a tooth it will cause it to have difficulty adjusting idle properly. Second I would carefully go over the entire engine looking for vacuum leaks. Not just checking for vacuum hoses off/rotted/etc, but looking for leaking intake gaskets, injector seals, etc. Unlit propane or brake cleaner sprayed at all potential leak points while the engine runs is the best way to do this.... if there is a leak it will draw in the excess fuel and affect the idle.

If the belt is timed right and there are definitely no vacuum leaks, then I would want to try another idle valve. While it is possible to have other issues (bad injector, fuel pressure problem, etc), it is unlikely to see things like that without a engine light coming on too. Surging idle with no light is usually going to be vacuum related or valve related.