Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

What do I need to do to reset my car after the alarm has

Customer Question

What do I need to do to reset my car after the alarm has been tripped
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Is this a factory alarm or add-on/aftermarket unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Factory alarm
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

Are the lights flashing and horn honking but the engine runs?

If the engine does not run, does it crank or is there no reaction from the starter when you turn the key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no reaction but the alarm sounded for a a bit and then turned off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine is not running and the lights are off as if the battery had died. There is no reaction to the key getting put into the ignition I tried what the owners manual said and I heard clicking from the inside of the car. But nothing changed still no reaction to the key and the cat behaves like the battery is dead
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

If the battery were in good health and the alarm going off you would at least have the headlights and tail lights flashing; technically the horn would be honking too, however at this age most of the alarm horns are dead so that wouldn't be too surprising if it weren't honking.

Do you have another vehicle you can hook up some jumper cables to for an extra boost to compare?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not is there not a way to reset the car with my key?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were flashing but shut off with the alarm after a few minutes
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

If the alarm is not continually going off, restarting the process in full force each time you open the door or try to start it, the alarm is not the problem.

Any time you insert the key, open the door, do anything that causes a voltage shift the alarm should go off in full force again. Further, unless you have an add-on module it should not prevent the engine from running either.

When you turn the key to Start position, does the starter operate, just click, or do nothing? DOes the alarm go off again for another 3-4 minutes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I put the key in the ignition there is nothing happening and the alarm does not start up again
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Yeah see thats a strong indication that battery is failing or you have a bad connection on it etc. If the alarm were your issue the alarm would go off again (and in 90% of cases the engine would run too).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Th e battery is only 2 months old and the connections are fine
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Well if you don't have a set of jumper cables, lets pull the battery out and go have it tested.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I can't open my hood, the latch under the steering wheel isn't working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The alarm came back on and I got it to where the car electronic system is working but it will not start
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

If the alarm is coming back on you can try turning it off; to do so without the remote close all doors and then trip the alarm so that it is going off, then use the key to unlock the drivers door manually two times. This will send the kill signal to the alarm.

If the key switch in the door is broken you can unhook the negative battery terminal, insert the key into the ignition and turn it on, then reconnect the negative battery terminal and that will cancel the alarm as well.

If the battery/connection is an issue, this will not resolve it though. It will only reset the alarm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already done that, it reset the alarm and now the car works fine other than not starting
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

I know you don't want it to be the battery, but everything is pointing at the battery or power supply issue of some sort. As I mentioned initially it is not an alarm issue from your description of events, and disarming the alarm has further proven that.

You need to get the battery tested or a set of jumper cables on there to give it an extra boost and compare the reaction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay will do
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

I'll be here if you need me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to get my hood open without using the lever on the inside? Ivery tried it and I'm feeling no tension and there is no reaction from the hood
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Not easily.... check to make sure the cable didn't come off (break off) the release handle first; if it did you can use some vice grips to pull the cable.

If it is intact then you have either a broke/seized cable or a stuck latch. In either scenario it isn't a lot of fun. If the cable is broken you can try going to the cable in the drivers wheel well (Above the liners) and cutting into it to access it... if the break/seize if further toward the latch though this won't help. The best approach to get it in one shot is to go up through the bottom of the bumper and manually operate the latch. It is not easy as they made it intentionally difficult for security reasons of course, but it can be reached and a screw driver used to pry the release lever.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I'm seeing what you're saying the grill and the radiator and in the way and I can't see where the latch is
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

All the way up top, and if original there will be a black plastic cover around it too. You have to go in from the very bottom and prepare for a lot of scrapes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get through to it, I'm going to have it towed and have a mechanic look into fixing it. I have classes and such today
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Understandable, and no reason to feel bad there as I mentioned it is not easy by any stretch. I dread when these come in with broken cables/seized latches/etc.