Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Took my 2004 Mitsubishi Montero Limited in last week. They

Customer Question

Customer: Took my 2004 Mitsubishi Montero Limited in for repair last week. They fixed the fuel relay, and replaced the gaskets around the spark plugs as there was oil in there. Got it back, and now the trackion light keeps coming on and I have an error code P1751 - I believe it is for a A/T relay. The car has no power and does not seem to be shifting. What did they disconnect by mistake that would cause this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That is pretty much it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mitsubishi Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

The AT relay fault can happen as a result of an actual relay or as a side effect of the system going into fail safe. The transmission fail safe is accomplished by shutting off power to the AT relay, and if it happens fast enough this can sometimes trip the AT relay fault as well, even though it is just doing its job.

I would suspect that they might have misplaced a relay considering they were just working on the relays. Can you get a photo of your relay panels so I can make sure everything is in the right place?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is back at the shop. is the relay near the fuel relay? They did replace that
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

They are not nearby (the fuel pump relay is under hood, the AT relay is in the foot well), however keep in mind as I mentioned before if there is another problem to put the transmission into fail safe, it will trip the AT relay fault as well even though it is OK.

Considering that they just did this work and now you have the AT relay fault and fail safe behavior immediately after, my first suspicion is they had some relays out and didn't get back in or went into the wrong spot etc.

Have they scanned the transmission controller to see if there are additional/different faults there (not an OBD scan)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet. I will run it by them and get back with you.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, I'll be here.