Amedee
Amedee, Mitsubishi Technician
Experience:  ASE Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Have a '99 mitsubishi eclipse RS with 60K miles. Today it

Customer Question

Have a '99 mitsubishi eclipse RS with 60K miles. Today it initially didn't start when I turned the key. Then it started but the stick shift was really hard to get itno the lower gears and the AC wasn't cooling. I got home and turned off the carb now it won't start at all. Don't even hear a click.
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alrwady checked the basics, battery, oil, etc. It will start sometimes if I really jam the clutch all the way to the floor.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Did you still need help? Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Do the headlights work? What about the dome light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lights and horn work just fine. I disconnected the clutch switch last night and it turns on with no prob.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

If the clutch switch was disconnected, then the starter motor should not be able to be activated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car starts with the switch bypassed but the gears are still hard
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then that should not have anything to do with the starting issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the master and slave cylinders about a year ago when it had similar symptoms. But this time I don't see any fluid leaking around the cylinder and the reservoir is full.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Well, if this is the case, then the problem is inside the transmission.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'm hoing to take it in for a diagnostic. Is there anything in particular I should make them aware of or I should keep in mind?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Honestly, they might indicate that they have to remove the transmission and open it up for inspection. Anything less involved would a bonus for you because it would be less labor.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

The transmission clutch switch may also be bad. Just have them double check the clutch master cylinder, reserviour and brake fluid to ensure that not only there is no leaks but that there is no air in the system either. Sometimes just bleeding the system will help the clutch pedal. Good luck and let me know how it goes! Also, please dont forget to rate. You should see the rating system toewards the bottom of the page.