Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I was reading one of the posts regarding the manual tranny

Customer Question

Hey Doug ,
I was reading one of the posts regarding the manual tranny problem with synchros on theses cars I have a 2003 eclipse 2.4 manual transmission.. All my gears work fine except my reverse , I have to hold the shifter back so that it doesn't grind the gear , I heard the reverse gear doesn't have synchro? My 2nd gear is sometimes hard to engage only when the car is off and the clutch pedal is depressed I don't know if that may help . I recently had the clutch kit replaced and both slaves replaced and bled this was done because of that issue thinking it would resolve it ,what oil do you recommend for the transmission?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

You do have a synchronizer for reverse, however it is unlikely that it is bad unless there were "events" in its past to cause that; The reverse synchro would not fail on its own, only from being forced at too high of speed (or with a failing clutch disc etc). The synchronizer has to grind to fail, basically.
The second gear with the car off is not really a concern, that is somewhat typical.
How is your slave cylinder throw, does it travel a considerable amount?

Was the master cylinder a factory or aftermarket replacement (we have significant issues with aftermarket masters cylinders.... no problem with aftermarket slaves though)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Doug,
The Master cylinder is the original one and as far as the pedal travel goes it has the same travel as it use to with the original one, I did however need a new clutch kit because the throw bearing was toast I ended up burning the clutch (im not sure if this was the cause or not) it started by making a weird noise at take off in first gear like when a cv boot is out and you lock your steering wheel but it was coming from the transmission area , then I let my brother use it for awhile ,when I got it back it no longer had reverse so not so sure if he went tokyo drift in it or what , if you hold the shifter in reverse really hard you are able to let out the clutch a little however it ends up grinding as I can feel something pushing the shifter forward,all other gears work fine.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like that new clutch got burned out already. If it was working fine for a while after the clutch was changed and the slave cylinder is traveling normally, there really isn't anything else to expect. Reverse is usually the first one to cause difficulty when the clutch starts to fail, and the sensation is of the synchro pushing back resisting the gear.
I would try giving it another bleed of the fluid just in case, and take a look at your pedals from down low to make sure nothing looks out of place (height way off etc). If not.... You probably are going to be dealing with premature failure. It is unlikely it is anything internal to the transmission from your description.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't driven the car after the clutch install , it was doing it before and it's doing it now , I'll try bleeding it again and see what happens , do you have any acces to the transmission repair or rebuild manuals , I would like to try and rebuild it or replace any worn synchros or gears , I hear the synchros are brass and could easily be worned down
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I must have misunderstood your last post.
In that case things change a little... I would still double check your pedal height is normal and bleed the system again.

Otherwise with the cables and clutch ruled out, then you would most likely be back at internal issues, rare as those are.

The gear is only going to be difficult to go in like that if there is internal damage (be it bad synchro/gear or bent fork), a shift cable issue (ruled out), a worn clutch (ruled out), or insufficient travel of the slave cylinder (either due to leak, air in the line or bad master... and if you bleed it out and have good travel of the slave, that would be ruled out too).
If nothing comes of bleeding it and the pedal looks normal, then it woudl be time to go internal. If you found that it was a syncro you could do it yourself if you are very comfortable with this sort of work and have a bench press.