Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Pajero np, 1900 to 2000 rpm ,noise like exhaust resonance

Customer Question

pajero np, 1900 to 2000 rpm ,noise like exhaust resonance drone when accelerating, no noise with throttle off ,can produce noise (less pronounced ) in neutral ,when parked. noise is not muffler. noise gets louder with extra weight in car. noise got louder when worn rear diff locating bushes were replaced .every motor pulley,fan assy,water pump etc has been replaced. harmonic gear balancer removed.have had noise for 4 years ??????? rod
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)

Since it will occur in neutral that means it has to be the engine, transmission, or exhaust. Since weight effects it, that means its the mounts or the exhaust. My suggestion is to watch the engine and transmission when shifting back and forth between drive and reverse to see if it moves excessive indicating a mount is bad. Next raise the vehicle and check the exhaust hangers, then loosen the exhaust system, give it a good shake to relieve any mounting stress then bolt it all back together.

----------Once you get an answer----------

1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type.

2) The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.

3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, they pay me nothing to help you.

4) I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.

5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation.

6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
waiting until I am back home .rod

No problem, the post will not time out and close till the 24th.

As mentioned in my first response, I would stay in contact with you. I've noticed you have not rated the post. So I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
car still being worked on , so have replaced gear box cross member mounts ( as you suggested) have replaced shockers and springs ( result of extremely stiff springs & shocks being fitted 4 years ago) these items were exacerbating noise. Allso this model pajero has inherent driveline vibration issues engineered out by way of overall design of specific bushings,, balancers ,, suspension etc etc ..also one back wheel bearing noisy,, also replaceing complete diff bushes and mounting bracket on Wednesday . will let you know
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the update, keep in touch if needed.