Randall
Randall, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years, diagnostic/repair/ electrical specialist
13677702

My horn went off in the middle of the night on my Montero,

Customer Question

My horn went off in the middle of the night on my Montero, 2003. I disconnected the negative eyes on the battery
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I moved the negative battery connection the horn one off when I moved it again the horn went back on and then I disconnected it entirely
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Hello, are you saying you can not hookup battery without horn blowing? is it a steady honk or random?Have you tried starting it even if horn blowing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I moved the negative battery cable with the horn blowing it would stop . I also could start the car while the horn was blowing. It is also a steady honk
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

ok, checking some things, Back shortly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thx
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

ok, in the under hood fuse box, are relays, locate relay A10x as shown in the link I included, remove that relay, Tell me if you can hookup battery and start enegine etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Be back to you shortly
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a different fuse box. I'm looking at the manual it looks like there are three fuses associated with the horn. Should I pull all of them
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

odd, well, you can but was wanting horn RELAY pulled

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

under hood fuse box

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup I'm in the under the hood fuse box
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

no relays? any marked on your end? horn relay

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

is this a montero sport?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a Montero limited
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

the only diagram I have I sent for a 2003 montero, , you say no horn relay or relays in the fuse box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 3 fuse locations that show horn. The first one which is number 12 shows Warren in a wiper deicer which I don't believe I have. Then number 13 just shows horn and then number 21 shows horn they're all 10 days and I have them all pulled. Nothing States relay
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

no, a relay.. small black boxes in the under hood fuse box, fuse 13 is the horn relay fuse, can you find the horn relay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Early this morning when the horn was going off I wiggled the negative connection in the horn stopped. Then I moved it again in the horn wone on again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about that I sent that before yours came in. I see number 13 should I just pull that one with the other ones back
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

understood but this is not where the problem lies, I need the horn relay removed, can you do this, you keep speaking of fuses, I need the relay pulled, you have a row of them on the side, far right in this diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay now I see what you're talking about there a little black black boxes. One is marked d what shows are horn and a snowflake the other is Mark e which shows a horn and wipers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ru there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled what you said was 10x
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car won't start with the relay removed
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

ok, does horn stop with fuse 13 out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like my negative battery cable was a little bit loose at the end. I am thinking of going to pick up the connector for the negative battery connection cut the wire, clamp it, krimp it and see how that works. What are your thoughts
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

well, yes, but a bad connectiion etc does not just cause horn to blow, this is what I am trying to find out, so, horn does stop with fuse out, truck runs with fuse out, put fuse back in and it constant blows? I really need to know all this, Bad connection? sure needs fixed, jjst can t see relation to horn non stop blowing and neg battery cable end

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car won't start at all now. I am going to replace that battery connection and then let you know the status.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

well. did not know we had a starting problem, only horn non start, yes start with cable lmk thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not have a starting problem before the car just started a 30 minutes ago no problem then when I was messing around with the cable reconnected the battery now won't start so I'll do cable and see where I stand
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Edit: site malfunction, sorry Randall

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

hello, another expert took post by error, did you make any headway?