Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I was replacing my battery in a Mitsubishi montero 1997.

Customer Question

Hi! Im Gino. I was replacing my battery in a Mitsubishi montero 1997. After the battery was installed, I tried to turn on the radio, the radio cld not turn on. It said CODE,I will like to enter the code for the radio,to play.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Hi Gino,
I can help you with this.
Please do not try to input any codes until we are ready, as the radio will lock itself worse from incorrect codes.

This is a 97 Montero full size, not a Sport is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Great. We are going to need to get some information off the radio itself. There is a white sticker on the chassis of the radio that will have a model number (MR######) and a serial number listed on it. I need both of those number exactly as they appear on the sticker.

Access is not too hard on this model. Looking at the radio area you will see the surround panel is all one big piece. There are two philips screws in the top of the panel going up into the dash; remove these two screws and you can then pop the panel off.
With the surround panel off, you will have a pretty decent view of the radio to read the sticker... if you can not see it still, there are four philips screws holding the radio to the dash, you can remove those and slide the radio out slightly for a better view.

Get those numbers to me and I can get you a new code for the radio.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a V6, 3500,24 valves
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

I"m sorry I can't take a phone call right now.... but possibly shortly. Lets get the information we need first, as otherwise there wouldn't be much to talk about :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.Im waiting. It a Fm diversity Mitsubishi, on the right side said Infinity over the Scan button
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to get the information I requested? There is no way to unlock it without that information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im using my phone to contact U,so I don't want to be disconnected , going to read the text that U sent to me. No answer yet. Mr.Doug
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

I understand, let me know if you are able to get those numbers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know, after the Code ,U will give to me,what button to press to enter that Code
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

The unlock button varies by radio, but it is always a program button... meaning either PROG, AMFM, CD or TAPE. There is no penalty for pushing the wrong one as long as your code is entered properly, so most people just try one after another.
For a 97 Infinity radio it is usually TAPE, though.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

But of course we need to get the code entered first, which means we need that information I requested off the radio sticker.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The radio is in the car,I won't be able to reach the sticker. Is the sticker in the back of the radio
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Did you get my diagram showing the trim bezel coming off? This is necessary to get to the radio. If we can not get that information off the radio, I can't get you a code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only can see the front of the radio. Is it possible, I can send U a picture for the front of the radio,M.Doug
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

The front of the radio won't help. We must remove that trim panel I sent a picture of and get the radio accessible. There is nothing on the front of the radio that will help at all..... again if we don't get to that white sticker, we can't unlock it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't be easy for me to take the radio off .It is really hard for tonight
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I will do ,I will take the radio off one day,and I will contact U. What do U think. Is it ok
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

That would be fine Gino.
I will be here for a few hours yet tonight and I will be in to work tomorrow as well. Whenever you are able to get those numbers or even a photo of the sticker etc just post it here and I will get back with you as soon as I see it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. M. Doug,when I will have the serial # ***** the radio sticker,I can contact U for a new Code. Please,give me your feedback
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

That will be great Gino. Just return to this page when you have them and we will get you fixed up as soon as possible!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank U very much, M.Doug. talk to U soon. Good night
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, good night!