Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years shop owner, 27 year Import technician
29331485

My mechanic has come to s wits end fixing my L200 oil pump

Customer Question

good day.my mechanic has come to his wits end fixing my L200 oil pump issue. it starts well and in a few minutes the oil alert starts to flicker and few second yo start to hear noise I guess from the tapet. mechanic has changed oil filter and oil pump twice but the problem remains
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'd be happy to help! It sounds like you have an internal engine problem, likely a plugged oil passsage. There is either sludge in the engine somewhere or a bearing is failing, but you would have to disassemble the engine to determine the cause. Have you tried running any kind of flush through the engine? Sometimes that will help to clear passages.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last time the engine was brought down and the mechanic checked the passages and cleaned them, though I cannot say how thorough. But I know he cleaned the passages. What procedure can ensure best results?
I have not applied any flush.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, it will help to know the bearings that could cause the problems on their failure
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

He couldn't have checked the engine oil passages unless he disassembled the engine, which is very extensive and would have been around 1500$ just in labor. To clean with flush you can you buy any "engine flush" and just add it to the oil and run it for a few minutes, each one has directions so just follow the time on the one that you buy, then with most they'll have you change the oil afterwards. Alternatively you can get a quart of transmission fluid and add it to the oil. The bearings I'm talking about could be crankshaft, camshaft, or connecting rod bearings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He actually disassembled the engine. The second time he brought down the engine, he took the crank shaft to a mill where it was scraped and shined. In Nigeria labour is not as costly as you stated
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Is the engine back together and running .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the problem. No sooner had it started than it starts showing tapet noise. And the oil alert will come up. So the mechanic has no idea why the problem does not go away with everything he has done
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Okay you first need to check the oil pressure with a mechanical test gauge .

at the oil pressure sensor port.

Disconnect the ignition first so thew engine does not start, and check what pressure you are getting with just cranking over the engine for n10 seconds .

Greg

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what your Mech finds so i can advise you further with this issue..

Greg