Amedee
Amedee, Mitsubishi Technician
Experience:  ASE Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I drive a 1997 3000 GT, manual, and it hesitates to start.

Customer Question

I drive a 1997 3000 GT, manual, and it hesitates to start. Once I get it started it runs great. I can turn it off and back on immediately, but if I wait about 15 min to start it again it does its hesitation thing. I've replaced the fuel pump, Ignition Control module, Fuel pressure regulator along with a few other things. Also, it wore out my starter motor so I just replaced that the other day.
My guess is that it's the regulator... maybe I got a faulty regulator when I got the new one....
What are your thoughts? Is there something else besides the FPR that could cause a hesitation in startup like this?
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've also recently replaced my air filter with a K&N filter.I'm not sure if this issue is connected in anyway, but my cruise control stopped working around the same time. The lights for cruise control turn on, but the car doesn't maintain the speed I set it at. I'll let you know if I think of anything else that may be related.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Have you checked the fuel pressure when crnaking after the new fuel pump was installed? We just need to be sure that the fuel system hold pressure after the engine shuts down. Anything in the fuel system can leak causing the fuel pressure to drop when the engine is off.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I would also check for spark and injector pulse when this happens. This will help pinpoint the root cause. I have seen bad ECM's causing this sort of issue as well

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Some other possible causes are a bad camshaft position sensor (inside distributor), crankshaft position sensor, engine coolant temp sensor or even a bad mass air flow sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been wanting to test the fuel pressure, however, I can't seem to find a port to run the test on this car. I've done that on several cars before this. Can you help explain how to test the fuel pressure without a pressure gauge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, what's the best way to test the injector pulse to see if the ECM is bad?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! There is no way to check fuel pressure without a fuel pressure gauge.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

A noid light is the best tool to use to check injector pulse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some other possible causes are a bad camshaft position sensor (inside distributor), crankshaft position sensor, engine coolant temp sensor or even a bad mass air flow sensor.I've replaced the distributor cap, but can't recall if I replaced the distributor itself...Is that what you're referring to when you say inside the distributor itself?I did replace the crankshaft position sensor when I put a new timing belt and water pump in.Are there ways of testing the coolant sensor or mass airflow sensor? I would suspect it would throw a code or the engine light would come on if these were the cause...
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

YES, the dististributor assembly itself can be bad. Just because they dont throw a code does not mean they are good. They can still be bad and not set a code in the computer. The best way to check these is to check the values using a scan tool while watching live data when cranking the engine when this hard start condition occurs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are a Mitsubishi mechanic, correct? Just wondering because I thought you would know this car doesn't have a port to test the fuel pressure.Can you provide instructions on how to use the noid light?I need step by step on how to run these tests you keep suggesting. If I already knew how to do them, I would've done them already... thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Thats correct. There is no fuel pressure test port on this vehicle. You need to tap into the fuel pressure line going to the fuel rail to check fuel pressure.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Here is a video I made talking about how to check injector pulse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg0HYr3SYYw

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the video.Do you have a video or some instructions on how to tap into the fuel line to test the pressure?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I dont.. but I am sure you could find one on youtube

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

All you need to do is disconnect the fuel line going to the fuel rail and hook up a fuel pressure tester using the right adapters.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm confused... I thought I was paying for a service that helps me until the problem is fixed. Is that not correct?Because I don't feel that I've been helped very much. I haven't had a chance to run those tests, and won't until this weekend. And to be honest, if you want a good rating, right now would not be the time to end this string.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Thank you for the reply. I am not sure why you have posted what you did. Maybe you got an email? I dont know.. I have not asked you to provide me with a rating yet. I will be here until the problem is fixed. You only rate my answer once you are happy with my assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Amede,Thank you for clarifying the situation. I keep receiving e-mails asking me to rate you even though we haven't gotten to the bottom of the problem at hand.I'm curious about the items you've asked me to check. I was able to confirm that I've already replaced the distributor and cap, also it has a new fuel pump, I need to run a test on the injectors still...Thing is, with the parts you're having me test, seems like the car would have difficulty running after I got it started, because once the car gets started it runs very smooth with no hesitation when I push on the gas. For example, if I had bad fuel pressure, the car would not run smoothly after starting. The injectors seem to be fine because I have a smooth idle and no misfire during acceleration.What makes the most sense is if the fuel system is holding pressure or not, because if it's not I can see why that would cause a hesitation in startup.Do you know what components maintain the fuel pressure?
You mentioned the fuel pump, I know the Fuel Pressure Regulator does as well. Is there anything else that may be the culprit?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! Chances are you are getting the automated emails from the site. They go out to every customer that has an open question. Anyway, there is nothing else in the fuel system that could leak down. The fuel pump, injectors, regulator and possible the lines and fittings between the tank and fuel rail. If it were leaking, then you would see and smell fuel.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Another possible cause would be a bad ECM. This is the engine control module that runs the engine. We do see these go bad a lot too. However, be sure to check and rule everything else out before replacing the ECM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the ECM different than the ICM (Ignition Control Module)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just wondering because I replaced the ICM
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! YES, the ICM is for the ignition system. The ECM is the engine control module which is the computer that runs the engine. Sometimes it is called a few different things. ECU or even PCM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you switch me to the Mitsubishi technician Gary please? Thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Sure thing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Amedee, can you help me out with something?You said that I would be transferred to a new mechanic but I was never contacted again.I ended up finding the solution on my own, so transferring me is no longer necessary.I got charged for this service although I wasn't satisfied with the help, nor did I rate anyone to finish the process.Please let me know who to contact about removing the charge on my cc asap.Thank you
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I did leave this question open for all experts. It appears no expert has picked it up. Most likley because I answered your questions and still were not satisfied. Anyway, you can process a refund on your end.