Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I had to have my 2005 Evo 8 towed home last week. I recently

Customer Question

I had to have my 2005 Evo 8 towed home last week. I recently started having fuel cut off problems which resulted in an overboost code. Last week it felt like a fuel cut but after it happened the car wouldn't run under load. just stuttered almost to the point of stalling. however it idles fine. I checked the cat (had a similar issue years ago with a different vehicle) but it looks fine. any ideas?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Have you performed a boost leak test yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a boost leak tester and compressor to perform this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a compressor but would have to get the boost leak tester. This is my first turbo vehicle. I will get one though. You recommend any specific one.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Most people just build their own as they can be made for about $5 from the hardware store. Let me see if I can find a link

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

This outlines the process for you... otherwise you can find them on ebay etc just for more money:
http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-tos-installations/339529-how-boost-leak-tester-5-02-a.html

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

In the mean time, did anything else change that might be relevant leading up to this condition? For example a recent tune change, parts replaced, or hard run etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see a couple you tube videos are available. I had the trans rebuilt last winter and replaced the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and the other piece which name escapes me at the moment. It is a light weight flywheel. I also replaced the exhaust system with a free flowing set up from the turbo back at the same time.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

That was all quite a while prior to the problem forming though right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've put a couple thousand miles on it since then. The fuel cutoff thing started about a month ago. It only happens under heavy accel. I've been reading up on Evoscan to see about the tune, but I haven't done anything yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the first time I've used Just answer. Can I put together the tester and get back to you with results later?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely.... lets regroup once you've been able to boost leak test it (connecting at the turbo, and you should be able to hold 20 psi).
If you have the ability, I'd like to do a compression test too just to know the internal health of the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a leak down tester. I'll check that also.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Fantastic.
Lets get those done for a baseline, then we can get back together here tomorrow (or later if you need more time) and see where we stand before we start getting into more involved checks etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. Probably be a couple days. Thank you Doug.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

No problem at all.
If it is a few days, you may get email reminders, some even appearing to come from me; these are automated emails and you can disregard them until you are ready to return.