Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

New ignition switch and ignition lock cylinder but still

Customer Question

New ignition switch and ignition lock cylinder but still doesn't start ,can start car with ignition switch outside of position,could it be the mecinesimn between the switch and lock cylinder
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

My name is ***** ***** I am a licenced diagnostic technician with over 20 years experience.

I will do my best to help you with your automotive problem. Please remember, I cannot see, hear or feel your vehicle which can make diagnosing very complicated and some vehicle require extensive diagnotics that require certain diagnostics computers that can not be done over a computer or phone.Please be patient as I am not online 24 hours a day, as I do work, but I do check my page every day.A positive rating is always appreciated for my time and knowledge to help you with your problem.

I have had to replace ignition switches on quite a few of these.

I did happen to have one that did the same thing yours did. I could start it by turning it with a screwdriver but bolted in it would not work. It ended up being a bad switch right out of the box.

It can be hard to check this kind of problem without seeing it with my own eyes, this is where i wish i could pop my head out of your computer and see it properly.

If you have installed a lock cylinder as well, please make sure that it is the right one. sometimes you can miss something and its a little different length wise.

does it feel like its binding at all? does it have a full sweep stroke when turning it? or does it feel like it stops..

If everything is bolted in correctly and no binding with full turn, than theres a good chance that the new switch is a defective one.

I hope this helps

cam