Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have the same car with the same problem. It just died on

Customer Question

Hi Doug,
i have the same car with the same problem. It just died on the traffic light and never started again. The odbc error code P0340 and P0340 P . Yesterday I replaced the CAM sensor with the Duralast one (Mitsubishi dealership was closed). No effect. I'm planning to check all the fuses related to ignition. But it gets confusing indeed...
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

If you remove the oil cap and have a helper crank the engine while you watch through the oil fill hole, can you see movement in the head?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow. You think it is a timing belt?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Well there aren't a lot of possibilities when you are only seeing P0340, and that is the easiest one to check without any tools. If the timing belt fails, there is no upper engine movement and the computer sees crank sensor movement without cam sensor movement it automatically sets a P0340.
Hopefully that isn't the case and it is just a bad cam sensor (as Duralast ones as with most aftermarket cam sensors just plain won't work in these cars), but it is a quick and easy inspection we can make in the interim.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Any word on upper engine movement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have the wrong email address. I am Anne, not Alan.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about that, I don't have access to the email information for the site. You can send a message to***@******.*** to correct any mistakes we might have in that department.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doug, thank you very much for your advise. I checked - nothing is moving. So it is the time belt.
I will try to return the Duralast cam sensor, if they take it back, but I'm looking to a big big adventure replacing the belt.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Ugh, thats a bummer. At least you know now and can get on to replacing the belt and checking for valve damage.