Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

My fan only works when the ac is on. Why?

Customer Question

Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the ac is off the radiator cause a back flow and the fluid comes out but can't find no leak
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

If the fans are operating with the AC on, that automatically rules out the fuses, relays, fan motors and the PCM driver/wiring.
At that point your only expectations here would be that the temperature sensor is reading a skewed value (cooler than actual) preventing the fans from coming on, or that there is a large air pocket in the system which will also prevent the fans from turning on. Technically speaking you could also say that it is possible that it is not getting hot enough to turn them on anyway (the engine gets VERY hot before the fans turn on if the AC is off), however given that you are seeing it push fluid out this is unlikely.

More likely than not you have a large air pocket in the system that needs to be bled out professionally; I would still probably want to check the temperature sensor value in the computer while it is pushing coolant out to see if it is reading that hot.