Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a 2002 mitsubishi galant and i jus replaced the

Customer Question

I have a 2002 mitsubishi galant and i jus replaced the battery. When I did all the lights turned on but i never had the key in the ignition. The lights wont turn off either as long as the battery is connected. The green light on the dash is also lit. Jus need some advice on what to do.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

When you connected the battery was the negative cable connected last or first?
Did you hear or see any spark/pop when the battery was hooked up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I initially connected the negative first but i also tried hooking the positive first also. But i did hear and see the sparks/pops when i hooked it up.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Any time that the negative is hooked up while the positive is unhooked you will get a spike when the positive is hooked up... that is sparks/pop you noticed.

Go to the under hood fuse panel and inspect all of the fuses and fusible links. Pay particular attention to the large fusible links and to the two fuses in the yellow fuse holder.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Also be aware if the vehicle is in original condition, there is one fusible link outside the fuse box hanging off the battery positive terminal to check out as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, but is that also the reason it wont start? because i noticed that the green light on the dash is lit as well as some other lights too. Not sure if that's a coincidence or an issue.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

It will depend on which fuse(s) popped, but yes most likely it will be related. It is unlikely that you had some other failure occur as well.
The green light is the immobilizer light, the immobilizer turns off the fuel injectors if there is a problem detected (like the wrong key). As long as you have one or more circuits that are not getting power however, all bets of course would be off as far as electrical malfunctions. Once the fuse(s) that popped are replaced if the condition maintained then we would be a bit concerned, but as for right now it is an expected condition.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

I am leaving for the night but will return tomorrow if we need to discuss this further.