Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I am still battling with my 2001 DiD short chassis Pajero. I

Customer Question

Hey Doug, I am still battling with my 2001 DiD short chassis Pajero. I gave up the window issue just live with it... fixed the central locking and folding mirriors was mixed up wiring as they are not the correct mirros for this model... from a second gen
pajero replaced the injector pump now runs sweet. Anyway new problem... It seems one of the stupid computers on the wiring system has died. everything was fine one day next morning the following things do not work: -Hi-beam on head lights and flash -Side lights
and as a result fog lights -windscreen washer (wipers still work) -Cruise control where do all these signals pass through after leaving the steering column before passing to the peripherals? I check ETACS operation again and seems to make no difference any
guidance will be greatly apprciated Alex
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

If fuses are all OK and there are no unusual wiring issues etc, I would be most expecting a problem with the front ecu. The front ecu is the box that plugs into the top of the fuse panel in the engine bay. It controls all of your lighting and wipers.
It does not control the cruise control, however the cruise control does rely on monitoring the tail lamp resistance, so there is still the possibility of it causing an issue that way... otherwise I would expect the cruise is a different unrelated issue as it doesn't otherwise share any components with the lighting at all beyond monitoring tail light operation (to detect braking).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will check out this front ecu.
I had an issue a couple months back after an engine wash the head lights came on and stayed on and so did the blower for the a/c in the car. Even with car lock and keys in my hand... had to park and disconnect the battery. Seemed to dry out then be fine. Possibly related?
The cruise control will not even turn on when you push the button on the wheel stick.
4wd system also goes wonky just flashing the centre diff light. Some times clears if I switch off and then on again.
Will continue searching.
Alex
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Very possibly related. Usually when you get the lights and blower staying on it means the AC clutch has shorted out. It is somewhat common on this era of Mitsubishi and water entry would definitely make that happen. It is not strange to think that if water got in there it may have gotten into the front ecu as well.
With regard to the cruise not even turning on.... double check fuses, if they are OK that usually means a switch failure.

The 4WD would be likely unrelated to any of this. The center diff light is like a engine management light for the 4WD transfer ecu; it flashes to indicate something is out of sorts electronically in the 4WD operation. Most common is a bad free wheel solenoid on the front frame rail (or its hoses messed up causing it to operate wrong), however you would want to get the code scanned while the light is flashing to really see whats up there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Doug, been crawling through the system on the car... is there a common supply to all the column switches or are there certain groups? Just been thinking maybe the signals are not getting to the front ecu from the switches.
I hope to get my hands on another front ecu module to try out today.
Interestingly my central locking has just died too now. Auto lock after startup and auto unlock when you switch off does not work anymore and remote control is duff too. door locks are controlled by ETACS arent they?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Nothing that encompasses all of your issues really... unless you had a loose connection in the column somewhere maybe. The central locking is fully integrated into the ETACS which is partially involved in the wipers and running lights and is involved in the turn signals.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doug,Still battling here. sorted central locking... ETACS was not seated properly.
however the wipers wipe/wash/intermittent still no joy same for running/side lights
side lights come on now when the headlights are on but still no Hi-beam... but cannot turn on fog lightsdo you have a system or wiring diagram that shows where the signals go to?
I tested my front ecu in another working vehicle and it is responded perfectly.
I even took off the whole wing to check the wiring... all ok.the other night it rained and when I got up in the morning the side lights were on... so I pulled off the front ecu but they stayed on.
once the car dried out they switched off.
At the moment to me it looks like the etacs and the front ecu are not able to communicate... how do they do that and where can I look next?thanks
Alex
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

With the front ecu ruled out we would be suspecting either the light switch, ETACS or wiring to be at fault for the remaining issues.... an given that the ETACS was not properly seated and that resolved some of the issues, I would be most expecting that the ETACS became damaged.
If you still have the like vehicle, I would try swapping the ETACS. It is located under the driver side dash, it is the large smooth plastic box.