Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

My manual shifter doesn't work. Fuses good it moves fine

Customer Question

My manual shifter doesn't work. Fuses good it moves fine just doesn't change gear
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

What model vehicle is this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2003 outlander ls as I already steted in the forms
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Unfortunately on my end all I could see is 2003 Mitsubishi.

When you move the shifter to the side for manual mode, what is shown int he LCD display on the dash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing its just blank
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.
If the LCD is just blank, then the signal to switch to manual mode is not reaching the computer.
You said you verified all fuses already right? Are you experiencing any difficulty with operation in automatic mode at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it seems fine maybe I missed a fuse some where
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
been bad year had blown head gaskets then had to replace fans 2 months later and the air conditioning system 45 days ago all around 150 thousand miles
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

No problem.

Is there any evidence of a potential spills around the shifter in the past (even if months/a year ago etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
basically in a years time I have put 2grand back into it not that I am aware of but it s possible
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Wow, that can certainly be upsetting I'm sure.
Generally speaking when we see this condition form it is nearly always a bad mode switch on the shifter.... if the switch doesn't trip to tell the computer the shifter has moved over, the display never turns on in the cluster.
While it is certainly possible that something else is preventing the display from working, I'm sure you can imagine how unlikely it would be for that to happen and there be a problem with the manual operation. It is more likely just the "on" switch if you will is not working.
That said, if you vigorously move the shifter left/right 20 times or so, does the LCD turn on at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
give me a few I go check
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

No problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope it stays dark
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.
The fuse that powers that switch is the same one that powers the PRND lights on the dash, so we can easily check further if that switch is operating by watching those lights.... when you move the shift lever over to manual mode and the LCD does not turn on to display "1", does the "D" light turn off or does it remain lit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the display stays dark non working
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Right, but does the "D" light turn out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I missed the fuse omg mad self bu at same time very relieved
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Oh I'm sorry maybe I misunderstood... do none of the P-R-N-D lights work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they do not
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Well that could change things! Hang on a moment

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this went around 8 months ago I checkd my fuse box at that time found none shot well my hubby said he did when we were told to check
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Please check number 3 in the dash using my diagram:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that fuses was good changed any way still not working sorry I must be a dumb blonde my hubby pointed out the p r d light indicaters do work just nor the manual display
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

No worries.... when you place the shifter into Drive, the D light does light up? If yes, move it over to manual mode, does the D light turn off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they all go off but when I stop in d d does not stay on but the others do when stopped on
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

So the D light does not turn on at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it comes on while shifting but goes off as soon as you stop shifter there
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Well that is particularly interesting.... but still most likely going to be indicating a mode switch failure.
Essentially there is a power supply coming through the switch, which lights up each gear position as you go down the selector. When you reach the Drive position if you move the lever over the power is routed away from the Drive light and in to the manual LCD. This is not happening of course, and we know the power supply is good since the Park, Neutral etc lights all work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is that switch located hard or easy fix
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

The switch is located right on the shifter lever on the right side. You need to remove the console to to access it.... but most moderate DIYs can handle it. No special tools are needed, just some screw drivers.
The switches are under $100, however if you have a very early model with an old style shifter you will have to get a conversion kit (or do some crafty work to make it fit since they are slightly different). The conversion kit is rather pricey, well over $200 last I checked. Your local dealer will be able to tell you which you need.... just tell them the gearshift mode select switch is bad, the one located on the right side of the shifter inside the car.