Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I had the starter on my 2009 lancer ralliart replaced by a

Customer Question

I had the starter on my 2009 lancer ralliart replaced by a local mechanic. Also a new battery has been put in. Now the problem is the anti-theft sytem wont let me start the car. They are trying to bypass it by entering codes into the system (that's what they told me). How do I solve this issue? They've been at it for a week now. Thanks
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

The replacement of the starter and battery should not have caused any issues with the anti theft operation unless you have some sort of aftermarket alarm added on. There is no way to bypass the factory system either.
What exactly is occurring with the vehicle? Is it cranking but not starting, or is it not cranking either?

Does the shop that has it have a full functions can tool to scan for trouble codes in all systems (specifically the WCM system in addition to the engine system)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I turn the key it makes all the normal clicks and sounds etc but it just wont start. and this mechanic works from home. while the key is in and turned (right before it should start) the lights inside the vehicle turn on normally but the car wont start. they've had it their for about a week im starting to get the impression they don't know what their doing. what should I do to start the car? how can I get past the anti-theft and will a Mitsubishi dealership mechanic be able to fix this? I've also heard that leaving the key in for ten minutes might do the trick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh and their is no aftermarket alarm
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

I'm not completely sold on it being a anti theft issue, mainly because you would be getting a notification in the dash if that were the case.

This may sound silly.... but considering that the starter was just replaced, is it possible they got the compressor clutch connector and starter connector reversed? The two connectors are identical and can be swapped backwards, and they are right next to each other.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't know much of the issue at all which is why I am reaching out. if it is the anti theft what should I see on the dash?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Yes..... this is a 2009 right, with the center display between the speedometer and tachometer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.
if you had an anti theft issue causing the car to not start you should have an error on the center display either showing "key not detected" if you have the wireless key system, or a picture of a car with a pad lock over it if you have the standard key system.

Being a 2009 it does have the two reversible connectors on it I mentioned before.... if nothing else changed, I would be likely to expect that the connectors got reversed (and when you turn the key to Start it is sending power to the compressor connector instead).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hopefully he just got the two backwards. if not, what would you recommend I do if its the anti theft? about how much for a professional to repair this if you know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he says when he did the starter he never removed any wires...
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

If they are not reversed, then we would want to see if there is power reaching the starter when the key is turned.... on the small signal wire you should have 12V when the key is turned. If you do, then the problem will be starter or battery related (problem with either, or the cables between). If you do not have power there, then we would need to do a more investigative look at the system with a proper dealer-level scan tool to see what is going on.... lack of signal there would indicate a potential security issue (though again it would be unlikely without a message on the screen), or a problem with the ignition switch/wiring to the relay panel etc. These are all terribly unlikely though.... we don't really see any problems to speak of on this model apart from occasional starter failures. We do see some off and on issues with aftermarket starters sometimes not working on this model... its about a 50/50 consideration though, not completely widespread.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, good luck!