Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a 1999 Mitsubishi Galant ES-2.4L The

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Mitsubishi Galant ES-2.4L The speedometer,tachometer,and the odometer stop working. sometimes while driving they start working then stop again. Can you tell me what would cause this ?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

For all of the gauges to completely stop you would only expect either a bad connection or a cluster failure in most cases.

I would try unplugging and replugging the cluster in to see if there is any change in the behavior. If one connector is a little loose it will cause it to cut in and out as you drive, hit bumps, etc.
Since it comes and goes you know the fuses are intact (They would be good or bad, without any change in condition as you drive), that leaves only the wiring connections (loose wire, loose connector, etc) or the cluster itself to be at fault.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the cluster and the temp and gas guage work fine
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

If the condition changed like that when you replaced the cluster then we would really suspect that there is something going on with the wiring right near the cluster or that the new cluster has an issue as well. Here is why:

If the cluster were at no fault (the old and new were both good), then we would expect zero change in the condition when you swapped the cluster. The exception being if the connections/wiring near the cluster were at fault, and you inadvertantly changed the condition by moving them during unplugging/replugging of the cluster.
I would take the new cluster out and put the old one back in and see if the condition reverts.... if you do that and all four stop working again, then it is likely that the new cluster is bad too jsut in a different way. If you swap them back and the condition remains (the temp and gas work now, but the speed/tach still do not) then it is likely the wiring is at fault and just was shifted during replacement to a happier location.