Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

A light on the upper left side of the display panel of my

Customer Question

A light on the upper left side of the display panel of my 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse is on
It looks like a seated person, with an x and a seat belt but it's not the passenger seat belt sign
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

This is the passenger air bag warning light. It is normal to be on whenever there is no one in the passenger seat. It illuminates to tell you that the passenger air bag is disabled.
If you sit in the passenger seat you will see the air bag light will go out and the seat belt light will turn on. This is accomplished via a weight sensor in the passenger seat that is calibrated to tell how heavy the person is in the seat (so it knows whether or not to turn the air bag on... it doesn't want to deploy if for example you have a 40lb child in the seat etc).
As long as the primary air bag light in the gauge cluster is not staying on, everything is operating normally.