peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I have a 2002 Montero XLS with 192000 miles on it that I

Customer Question

Doug,
I have a 2002 Montero XLS with 192000 miles on it that I just picked up. This truck is not intended to be my daily driver but more of a backup vehicle/winter driver.
The vehicle runs and handles very well for the miles and seems to be fine when driven.
Here is the kicker, I took it in to a tire shop to get one of the the tires repaired(nail) and they are telling me because of the mismatched tires that both the transfer case and rear diff are "humming." I asked how they determined this and they stated that when the spin the wheels while the vehicle is off the ground they can "feel" it in the differential by putting their hand on it. I have not noticed any noise while driving.
They are saying not to even bother with new tires as the vehicle is going to be a "money pit."
I'm curious, I have read that these differentials and transfer cases are not the quietest around and if I should really be thinking about selling the vehicle or looking for parts.
Regardless they have me worried and I love the truck.
What is the likelihood that they are not familiar enough to with Monteros that they are worrying me for nothing.
Thanks
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this here.

On all wheel drive vehicles having different tire sizes can lead to damage to the transfer case.But if they are the same size tires this wouldn't be an issue in almost every case.Also with the vehicle off of the ground and vehicle ran in gear or tires spin by hand this shouldn't cause any vibrations in the transfer case unless damage is already done.The only time any different tire size issues are a problem is when the vehicle is on the ground driving with different tire sizes.I don't think they are looking at your vehicle correctly or know how it works.

I myself haven't seen any major uncommon issues that you wouldn't really see on other models on your model here.To be safe or if you want you can have this inspected by a repair facility more familiar with your model or a dealer but if you have no issues with noises or driving the vehicle I suspect your vehicle is o.k.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help if you like.Thanks Pete.