peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I drive a 97 Eclipse Spyder GST and it has been going idle

Customer Question

Hi Doug, I drive a 97 Eclipse Spyder GST and it has been going idle on me when I accelerate to quickly, usually into 3rd/4th gear. The engine will rev and it won't kick back into gear unless I through it into neutral and then back into drive, or I wait for the RPM's to go down to 1 and it'll kick back. Any particular cause of this?
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
too quickly. Whoops. Also, it happens more often when the car is first being driven.. It maintains well, even at high speeds with no slipping
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I have seen where the transmission fluid pump can weaken and create a fluid pressure issue that can cause this here.If this has not been checked/tested at all I would have this checked into/tested to see if low pressure is the cause.If it is then the transmission needs removed for inspection and replacement and to check for any other components at fault.Make sure your transmission fluid is at the correct level as well as this can cause a fault like this.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for responding. Do you also think that it's possible that it can be the end clutch? Are there any telltale signs that would point to the issue being the fluid or one of the gears/the end clutch?

Your welcome

It is possible the clutch is the cause as well but usually you would see more slipping issues in all gears and speeds.The only way to be sure is to have this checked over to pinpoint and then repair the cause.

Thanks Pete