Randall
Randall, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years, diagnostic/repair/ electrical specialist
13677702

2009 mitsu eclipse battery not charging. I changed the

Customer Question

2009 mitsu eclipse battery not charging. I changed the alternator already still have the same problem.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Hello, engine size? and do you have a testlight or volt meter? how do you know not charging, Light on dash etc? trying to gather more detailed information, Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a dead battery. Engine stopped while driving down the highway. I charged the battery and replaced the alternator. Had the same problem. The vehicle is not here right now. It stopped again and I'm charging the battery to get it back home. I have a volt meter. Going to check alternator output and battery output while running. suspect the voltage at the battery will show it is not receiving a charge from the new alternator. I don't know what is between the alternator output and battery. suspect a bad relay.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Still need the engine size, Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think its a 2.4 4 cylinder Mitsubishi exlipse
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

ok, back shortly

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

No relay. You have the feed on the BIG wire from battery to the alternaort, Be sure 12 volts there at the alkternator on the big wire, If so? then have to suspect a bad PCM. The PCM controls the alternator and regulator, Actusally in these? 80% it is the PCm, 20% it is the alternator. We can rule out the alternator.I highly suspect the PCM has failed and will need a new PCM, It controls most of the charging.If power on the big wire at the back of alternator, battery close to full charge, terminals all good clean tight, then likely the PCM has failed, Not that uncommon on these, I included a,link showing how it is wired

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the PCM located and approximately how much should I expect to pay for one?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

on its end along side of the air cleaner I included link with a picture, I am not in parts, only a Technician so I do not feel comfortabble giving quote on the PCM, They can be bought new? reman? used etc,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me a part number?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

auto trans? manual trans, convertible?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Auto transmission hard top
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

well, again, I am not in parts , this number is ***** in my database, Another thing, the light on dash must work with key on, engine off, if it is not working? then a bad bulb will prevent charging, Obvioulsy a defective alt is possible, You have to test things mentioned prior to doing the PCM #8631A301

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the help
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

best I have, thanks., hope all goes ok with this