Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

My 2010 Outlander has steering wheel shakes at 46 through 78

Customer Question

My 2010 Outlander has steering wheel shakes at 46 through 78 mph in 3 zones. Back to Mitsubishi 4 times and they can't find the problem. I think it is a front drive shaft
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had two new sets of tires put on by Goodyear, as it happened after the new tires were done last November. I have had all wheels Road Force balanced several times. I have had the rims checked for damage. Had new front rotors put on by Munro as the originals were "wavy" due to uneven wear. Euro swapped the new ones out under warranty. No change.That leaves drive shafts, UV joints, and Mitsubishi dealer doesn't know how to identify the issue. It is under warranty.Been to the dealer 4 times now.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you are probably right on track. Any time you have a rotational imba***** *****ke that it is pretty well always going to be tire/wheel or axle related; if there is association with braking then rotors can enter the mix, or if there is association with noise/humming then the wheel bearings can as well. For strictly imbalance issues though it is pretty well just wheel/tire and axles.

Is the problem with getting it fixed specifically that the dealer can't figure out the problem, or that they are claiming there is no problem? If they can not figure it out, have they gotten Techline involved or their district service manager?
With regard to the axles specifically, do you know if there was any signs of dampness around the passenger inner CV boot? This is a known failure point on this model which will lead to vibrations if not addressed.