Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Just bought a used 1998 Mitsubishi 3000 GT Base, (3.0 ltr

Customer Question

Just bought a used 1998 Mitsubishi 3000 GT Base, (3.0 ltr V6, SOHC). Upon start up, in dash voltage meter registers at 14 volts, but as I drive along, it regresses down to apprx. 12.5 volts. Also, notice a low droning /buzzing sound that comes and goes, and sounds like it comes from the passenger rear area. Could the two be related and if so, alternator/voltage regulator? Oh, and when the turn signal is on, the needle on the meter bounces up and down, in rhythm with the signal, between 12 & 13 volts.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

When the problem is occurring take your 12 volt test light and or volt meter at the alternator connector with the engine running and see if you have battery voltage on all three wires at the alternator connector as you should have. If so then the alternator is failing. Check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there. I have enclosed the wiring diagram for the alternator in the link below for reference, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Charge%20system%20Sept%202.pdf

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Edit, Sorry Ron.