Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I cannot get my moonroof closed. 😁I own a 2002 Mitsubishi

Customer Question

I cannot get my moonroof closed. 😁I own a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero. The moonroof slid back, made a strange noise and when I try to get it to close it makes a loud grinding noise.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

There are two possibilities here in most cases. Either the motor has started to come off the sunroof assembly due to loosened bolts, or the track cables have jammed.

What I would be doing first is lowering the head liner around the motor and checking to make sure it is securely fixed to the sunroof assembly. In most cases we find these bolts back out a little resulting in the motor not properly engaging the track cables resulting in a grinding sound. If you find the motor is not securely fixed, reattach it and check operation and it will usually be restored.

If the motor is NOT loose, then odds are the cables have failed, and the grinding noise you hear is the gear on the motor stripping against the cables that are immobile. It is rare for this to damage the motor, the cables are usually what takes the damage.
In this instance you would want to remove the motor entirely and then try to move the glass by hand for complete confirmation. If you are unable to move the glass, the cables are seized beyond repair.
To repair this you can get a used sunroof cartridge assembly that will have cables in it, or you can purchase replacement cables from Mitsubishi (though this can take a while... the last time I needed some they were unavailable and took a few months to get from Japan).
In either situation, the sunroof cartridge assembly in its entirety needs to be removed from the vehicle, whether to replace or to service the track cables; they must be done with the assembly completely out of the vehicle.