Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I installed an aftermarket steering wheel on my 2002 eclipse

Customer Question

I installed an aftermarket steering wheel on my 2002 eclipse and it was all fine. I wanted to fix the wheel so it would be straight but I didn't disconnect the battery and when I went to turn on my car I lost all power. I put the original wheel back on and nothing happened. I thought it was the battery so I got it checked and it was fine but needed to be recharged. It was recharged and I put it back on my car and when I went to turn it on, I turned the key and lost all power again, what should I do?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

If -all- power was lost, then you would want to go under the hood again and check our your fusible links in the main fuse box AND check the battery terminal and its fusible link. You will find something failed in those areas, as those are the only locations you would expect the entire vehicle to lose power from.

If however you only lost ignition power (the headlights work etc, just turning the key on does not deliver power), then you would still want to check your under hood fusible links for the ignition link being blown, but also you would want to double check your ignition switch wiring and make sure that you did not cut/chaff/pinch the wiring to the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked and the fusible links are all good but still nothing, I've been told it's probably the security system or something, is there a way to reset it?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
The security system will not cut power to the vehicle.
The only functions of the security system are these:
The immobilizer system prevents the engine from starting via cutting the fuel injectors off.
The alarm causes the lights and horn to flash repeatedly.
If the add-on alarm is installed, it will also prevent the starter from operating.
Nothing causes a loss of power that is related to any security system. If you are certain the fuses/links are all good, then your only expectations are the wiring (either damaged or left unplugged somewhere) or the battery itself is just totally dead.