Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a 2004 Endeavor XLS. Shudders in 3rd or 4th gear at

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Endeavor XLS. Shudders in 3rd or 4th gear at 30-35 mph
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Is the sensation similar to driving down an ungraded road or over highway "warning strips"?
Does this only occur in 3rd or 4th, never in 1st or 2nd (as far as you can tell)?

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

It looks like we missed each other.... If I am understanding correctly and you are getting this only in 3rd and 4th and it is a shuddering sensation felt throughout the vehicle, this is pretty certain to be a torque converter shudder, a common problem on this model.
Under normal operation the transmission partially applies the torque converter in third and fourth gears to smoothly transition the engine speed downward. If the fluid in the converter is old or incorrect in type it will cause a on/off lock up condition that causes a fast shudder through the vehicle. This only occurs in 3rd and 4th gears (as the converter lock up is not used otherwise).

To correct this you need to flush the transmission out with fresh Mitsubishi or Hyundai SPIII fluid. There is NO acceptable substitute for this. Universal, Multi car, Dexron base etc fluids will actually cause this condition rather than cure it.
Additionally the fluid must be flushed. A drain and fill is not sufficient... not only will it only remove about 1/2 the fluid, it won't remove any of the fluid from the converter anyway. Essentially you will be instantly contaminating the new fluid if you go that route and will have zero benefit.

Once the transmission is flushed with fresh SPIII you should see a noticeable improvement almost immediately. Most people will report ~50% reduction within a few miles. The remaining shudder will usually resolve 80-95% within 50 miles or so as the fluid bed in to the friction materials.

Performing this service is nearly always a home run in repairing this condition. The only instances I have ever run in to where the flush did not correct it to a reasonable level has been where people continued to drive the vehicle with it shuddering for thousands of miles. If this is done it will eventually damage the converter, and at that point torque converter replacement is your only option. Luckily again this is only necessary when people drive quite extensively with it malfunctioning. It rarely escalates to that level if it is addressed even remotely recently after the problem starts (even a few hundred miles etc).