Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

2000 galant 3.0. good battery, solenoid on starter just

Customer Question

2000 galant 3.0. good battery, solenoid on starter just clicks, changed starter, same situation.
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car was shut off and problem ocurred upon trying to restart. A week earlier the positive battery cable end clamp was replaced. I have ensured there is proper and clean connection at both battery posts.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
If you connect a jumper cable between the starter power terminal and the battery positive terminal then use the key to try to start, is there any change?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The power terminal on the starter is where the cable connects or the single wire with the push connector?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, the big cable, not the single wire.
The purpose of this test is to bypass the factory cable... we are pretty certain your signal wire is fine since you are hearing the starter click, so we want to try supplying and alternate path to the battery for the starter cable terminal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get nothing, not even the solenoid activating now.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
I know you mentioned the battery was good, are we 100% certain of that (like it was just installed or something) or is it just assumed good based on age or based on things working in the car etc?
Regardless, can we hook up the jumper cables to another vehicle for an extra push to see if it changes the condition?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already did all of that. I own a body shop and am an Interstate battery dealer. Usually I can figure this stuff out, but this one has me stumped. You can hear power up on key turn, good lights, etc. Thought for sure it was solenoid, now intermittent solenoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery test is 95%.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, had tried a new battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Worst part is, the car isn't at my shop, so I'm limited on tools, no multimeter, no test light etc.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Was there any lead-in on the failure (like slow cranking or intermittent no start) prior to this complete no start condition? Or was it very sudden (fine the day before etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sudden
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Just for the sake of being thorough, lets make sure that engine turns. Take either a 22mm socket or a 1/2" ratchet (the crank bolt has a square drive hole in it) and make sure it will rotate clockwise without issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doug, I will try that tomorrow, I was thinking the same earlier but don't have what I need to do it.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Keep me posted on your findings.