Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I am experiencing charging/ starting system issues. Put amp

Customer Question

I am experiencing charging/ starting system issues. Put amp meter on battery and pulled fuses until I found which one was draining system. It was a 40 amp fuse with key on it. Want to know if it's ignition switch short or starter solinoid
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Can you get a photo of the link location that you are experiencing the draw on so I can see which one it is in relation to your question regarding ignition switch versus starter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You will see green pen pointing to 40 amp fuse. 2nd pic show cover with pen pointing to the fuse.
I started engine so starter is good, alternator good. When I pull fuse whine stops so I can assume this is ignition switch.
I heard one morning when it wouldn't start a clicking as I walked away from car with key in hand. So I guess it could be ignition switch.
What do you think?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** definitely the ignition switch feed.
Can you tell roughly where the whine is coming from, any relative proximity at all?
The interest in that is that there really isn't anything we would expect to cause a draw on that circuit since it goes directly into the ignition switch, which should of course stop any drain in its tracks right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the car was off there was a draw on the inductive am meter until I pulled that fuse. Thought maybe solenoid was acting up. Stuck closed after starry, but that doesn't make sense. I'm going to pull fuse link. Charge battery and see if she starts in morning after I replace link. It's an older car so maybe insulation is broken down where it transits fire wall. I smell no odor of burned wire. She runs fine. I'm at a loss. Maybe all the new speed bumps in area have pressed ignition hot wire to ignition switch into a short.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Lets do that, and if you have a traditional ammeter or multi meter, lets unhook the negative cable and place the meter in between the cable and the terminal (set to low amps if multi meter of course) and see exactly what our draw is we are dealing with and go from there.
I'll be in tomorrow afternoon and we can pick up at your convenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems the air conditioner relay was stuck closed. After smacking it on concrete a few time it's good now. I ordered a new one. I've had no issues since. Thanks
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Hey that's fantastic! Those relays are certainly common to fail... they often will end up leaving the blower motor and headlights operating on their own when they get really bad.

Thanks for letting me know what you found!