Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a 2003 Galant v6 I am having trouble with the evap

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Galant v6 I am having trouble with the evap system. The code showed a small leak in the system. I had a smoke test done.The tech came up with three things: 1)replace aftermarket fuel cap 2)vent solenoid not sealing (needs replacement) and 3) fuel neck may need replacement (excessive rust causing sealing issue).
So I have done the cheapest thing first replaced fuel cap. I thought I had it fixed car went twice as many miles before check engine light came back on.
My questions are what to do next. Also if the vent solenoid is not sealing would another code have shown up besides small leak in evap system?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
When the smoke test was done, was the vent hose clamped off or was the vent solenoid energized to shut it (or neither)?
When the vent solenoid was tested (if other than above), was a gauges vacuum pump to determine how much vacuum it drew and how fast it leaked?