Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

My 2001 Mitsubishi Montero limited is having problems with

Customer Question

My 2001 Mitsubishi Montero limited is having problems with stiff steering at stop and slow speed, can you tel me why?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Given this vehicles history (Montero), I would be most suspicious that the 4WD is hanging up slightly. This is an incredibly common issue on these and low speed steering issues are a prime indicator of it.
What I would do would be have a shop elevate the vehicle and then "drive" it while in the air and watch the front wheels to see if they are slipping even a little while in 2WD.
If the 4WD is definitely not engaging, then you would suspect a power steering pump issue (pump wear or clog in the lines etc). Racks are possible but not typical to cause this sort of behavior. To verify though, a power steering line pressure gauge would have to be put on the vehicle to see what was going on with the pump. If it is providing normal pressure then you would expect the rack, otherwise the pump.
Honestly though... it is most often the 4WD, which is why you would want to have that in-air inspection done first to see if the front wheels are dragging.