Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I'm getting Immobilizer System Service required on my 2011

Customer Question

Hi Doug I'm getting Immobilizer System Service required on my 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. I did your recommendation of pulling the key out of black plastic casing and inserting backwards. No luck. The car does not look like anyone tried to steal it. Starts with remote key but the minute I touch break it shuts off.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Do you have your VIN available so I can see the model you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JA4AR4AUXBZ022695
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
On this model the reversing of the key fob will not work.
Please open up the glove box and locate the small ~2" pocket in the upper right corner of the opening. Insert the key fob into this slot... does the engine start now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it did not work
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Do you have a second key you can use for comparison?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried both.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
If neither one work and there aren't any other variables that are worth mentioning (recent wiring modifications etc) then your only likely causes here are going to be the KOS ecu (The computer that controls the key operation) going bad, the keys both going bad, or most likely the keys going out of sequence somehow (sometimes occurs if exposed to a lot of RF noise while operating the wireless, causing the rolling code to malfunction).
At this point there is nothing on the user level that is serviceable on these, so you will be taking it in to Mitsubishi for repair. They will first try to reprogram the keys to see if they simply lost the rolling code, as well as check the KOS ecu for other trouble codes that might indicate what occurred. From there it will be a matter of things being resolved with a reprogram, resolved with key replacement or resolved with KOS ecu replacement.
These parts are -all- covered under your original warranty which is in effect until September 17 2016 or 60,000 miles. If you are under 60,000 miles, Mitsubishi will pay the tow to the dealership as well as the repairs; if you are over 60,000 miles you will be responsible for the repair costs though. Again there is nothing user serviceable at this point with neither key responding even when placed in the over ride slot; all steps forward require a Mitsubishi scan tool to proceed.