Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years shop owner, 27 year Import technician
29331485

I have a 95 Montero SR that lost spark in the 3/6 coil. I

Customer Question

I have a 95 Montero SR that lost spark in the 3/6 coil. I replaced the coil no luck. I replaced the ignition module nothing. Thinking there was nothing left I changed the ECU with a used one still nothing. Then after reading several accounts of the reluctor plate getting out of alignment I thought that must be it as the crank bolt broke years ago. I just took the pulley off and best I can see it lines up. I will double check tomorrow as I didn't rotate the engine I just took pictures with my phone and compared them online. Any suggestions, I really don't want to pull the whole timing cover off if that's not it.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
Don't think this is the reluctor plate, unless its not turning with the crankshaft.
If the reluctor plate is out of its mark you would still get a spark but out of time..
Crank the engine over and the rev counter should show 200 - 350 rpm if it does not work then you may have a crank shaft sensor circuit malfunction .
The cam and crank shaft sensor could cause you a no start no spark .
You need to check for malfunction codes to confirm this .but if the rev counter does not move then you will have to remove the timing covers to gain access to the crank sensor, maybe a good time to replace the timing belt if not already been done as this is a service item at 60.000 miles or 6-7 years.
If the rev counter is showing 200 - 300 rpm when cranking the engine then check for malfunction code and get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.
Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.
If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .
Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was actually trying to ask another technician this question. Could you please release the question so he can answer it.