Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a problem with no spark at the point of my spark

Customer Question

I have a problem with no spark at the point of my spark plugs
The engine is turning over aggressively but the gas is not getting a spark
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
If you remove the oil cap and have a helper crank the engine while you look into the oil fill hole, do you see movement inside the head?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is movement I can see the valve moving up and down
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Great.
Do you have a multi meter or volt meter? If you do, please unplug one of the coils and measure between battery negative terminal and each pin of the coil connector with the key on. Do you have 12V on one of the pins?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a little less like seven volts
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Well that is odd.
Was this on the black/white striped wire, or a different color?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're gonna check that right now
We are using an analog multi-meter, not digital. Does that make any difference?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we determined it was the black wire with a white stripe that had around 7 volts
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No matter on the meter type, but lets read across the two battery terminals and make sure the battery isn't just worn down from trying to start it or the meter reading wrong etc... as 7V on the coil is pretty definitively a problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The voltage on the battery was still reading 12 volts after repeated cranking also tested C,P sensor always reported 0. looks like previous owners replaced all 4 O2 sensors.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** black/white wires are all showing 7V with the key on (not cranking)?
The C,P... you mean crank position sensor?
If so, what are your voltage readings on the sensor when unplugged and key on? Do you have 12V and 5V on two wires?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
I am leaving for the night but will be back tomorrow morning.
If you have the 12V and 5V reading, I would like you to plug it back in and then back probe the 5V wire and then rotate the engine clock wise by hand and see if the 5V alternates on/off or not for me.
I'll check in periodically tomorrow to see if you have any updates. No need to reply tonight or until you are ready with some results for me.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
doug I am back with my mechanic again... are you still there? I still have never resolved this
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
What were the results of the tests we discussed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could not preform that test, what items could make this condition what is the troubleshoot list
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
computer,? Sending unit, a wire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am trying to get a code reader
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
I need the results of those crank sensor tests to proceed. Otherwise it is just guessing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doug this is Sam again with the still unresolved Mitsubishi Galant problem
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sam,
Any progress in the tests I asked about two weeks ago?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still want this question answered. I don't have any tools and my mechanic is out of the picture right now. Can we put this on pause without me being charged more money? I see an $11 charge and a $5 charge on my bank statement and I'm OK with that but still need help because my car is still broken. I just dont want to get charged again. What are my options?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to come back to this when I get a mechanic with tools over here again.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

I do not handle the charges but you can send an email to***@******.*** and they can clarify your charges (or correct them if necessary).

Without the testing we can only speculate at the cause. The most common cause for losing spark is a bad crank sensor, which will usually be accompanied by no fuel pulse or pump operation either.
You had previously indicated 7V at the ignition coils however which would change things drastically; if the battery voltage is 12V and you have only 7V supply at the coils, then you would have damaged wiring between the relay box and the coils somewhere. I would suspect that that was probably a bad reading though, and you would be expecting a sensor issue more likely.