Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

The alarm on my 2009 gallant ralliart keeps going off how do

Customer Question

The alarm on my 2009 gallant ralliart keeps going off how do I disable it.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Is it randomly going off (like in the middle of the night), is it only going off when you enter the vehicle, or is it pretty much constantly going off no matter what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just randomly, I heard it this morning and then it happened two more times today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would really just like to disable the alarm system.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
The concern with random operation is that the leading cause of that is the key remote sending a panic signal in error. If this is the case here, disabling the alarm will not stop the condition from occurring since it is not technically the alarm causing the problem.
This is also important as that a 2009 most likely will not have the ability to disable like previous years did, due to the elimination of the key detection switch in the door. I can double check that with your VIN.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if this has any affect on it but I did have a minor front end accident yesterday as well. I will give you the vin 4a34b76tx9e009262. So if the key is out of range or I take the battery out could that stop it or would I need the key fobs reporgramed?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
For VIN 4A3AB76TX9E009262 (corrected the fourth digit) you definitely do not have the key switch in the door any more (an electrical switch behind where the key goes in), and this makes traditional disabling impossible unfortunately. Normally we would use that wiring to disarm the system permanently, but of course with it not there that poses a dilemma.
You mentioned the minor fender bender yesterday... did the alarm issue only start occurring after that event as far as you know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as I know yes.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Lets take a quick look under the hood. Behind the drivers head light you should see a push button mounted on the frame, it usually has a rubber bellows over it. Check to make sure this did not get bent at all or the wiring pulled from it etc.
Second, take a look around the drivers front wheel well/fender area and see if there is any significant damage there, as there is a wire harness that runs behind this fender.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see that the piece under the hood is bent but the hood is slightly pushed up there. No damage to the wheel liner.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible the button is not being pushed all the way down? This would definitely cause your symptoms if the button is not full depressed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I unplug that would that help? Or I could use something to push it all the way down.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Correct, if out looks like it is not being pushed down, just unplug it and take up the wires so they don't touch anything.
Given the time frame between the accident and the alarm malfunctioning, if it looks even a little off with regard to contact this is likely your issue.
The hood switch is normally open circuit when the hood is closed, but if the switch is not fully depressed it will get closer to continuity and we'll cause intermittent signal problems. Unplugging the switch until it can be fixed will simulate a shot hood and should rectify the situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will give that a shot and let you know if it works thank you.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem. If we have to look deeper we can, but given the chain of events and the appearance we should be good. I'll be here regardless.