Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a 2000 galant. the battery went dead. I jumped it and

Customer Question

I have a 2000 galant. the battery went dead. I jumped it and it is fine except the radio is asking for a code. Can you give me the code and how to input it.
Thanks Bob
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bob,
I can help you with this. Please do not touch any buttons on the radio until we are ready to input the code; if the wrong buttons are pushed it can make things more difficult for us (display will change to "oFF" and enact a timer etc).
In order for me to get you an unlock code I will need a serial number off the case of the radio. This is not too difficult on this car, it will require either a flat head screw driver or similar prying tool and a flash light is typically it.
Looking at the radio and AC area you will see there is a large trim panel that surrounds both and the storage pocket etc. This panel snaps into place on the dash with a clip at each corner. Take a screw driver or similar prying tool and gently insert it behind the panel and pry slightly, working your way around the panel until it pops free entirely and can be set aside.
With the trim panel around the radio/AC removed, you will be able to see over the top of the radio. Looking at the top of the radio with a flash light if needed, inspect the white sticker on top. The bot***** *****ne of the sticker will read "SERIAL NO.:_______". I need that number --exactly-- as it appears on the radio. If you can read the model number on top (MR######) that would be helpful too, but I must have the serial number regardless, that is the important one.
Provide the serial number and if possible the model number and I will get you an unlock code and provide instructions to input it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Model# *****
Serial#99E11342
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience. As you may have noticed we had a site malfunction for the past several hours but hopefully you are able to login/view on your end now as well.
For serial number 99E11342 on model MR472958 your unlock code will be:
5356
To input the code you will use preset buttons 1-4 only. Each time you press a preset, the corresponding digit of the code will increase in increments of one. So for your code of 5356 you would press the following sequence:
Preset 1 six times (first digit increases 0-1-2-3-4-5)
Preset 2 four times (second digit increases 0-1-2-3)
Preset 3 six times (third digit increases 0-1-2-3-4-5)
Preset 4 seven times (fourth digit increases 0-1-2-3-4-5-6)
When you are finished you should have 5356 on the display and you can now push the unlock button. This varies by radio but is always either CD, AMFM or TAPE. There is no penalty for pushing the wrong one as long as your code is displayed correctly, so you can just push each one once and the radio will beep and turn on when it is pressed.