Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

2003 outlander will not crank on, the key turns over. But it

Customer Question

2003 outlander will not crank on, the key turns over. But it will not catch to start the engine. It happened as I was driving it felt as if It had no power from a stoplight then surged forward. Then died at the next stoplight.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Does the engine sound any different when cranking than usual... For example faster or slower sounding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think It sounds faster I suppose I am starting to lean towards a broken timing belt. Thoughts? Any particular symptoms that could have happened before it went out?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
That's where I was heading if there is abnormal sound while cranking. And unfortunately there are usually zero warning signs (apart from a few seconds/minutes before failure).
Please take the oil cap off and have a helper crank the engine while you look in the oil fill hole. Do you see movement inside the head?