Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

This outlander has an increasing problem with the a/c

Customer Question

Hi, this outlander has an increasing problem with the a/c compressor not engaging. It will operate correctly occasionally, and is reading 125 on the low side.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
When the system works, does it work well and without issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I understand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All that I can say for sure is there is plenty of pressure in the system and after cycling the temp setting knob to max the ac light burns then starts winking, never cools or seems to ask the compressor to engage.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I'm not clear on the situation... so the AC never works, even when engaged it is still hot air?
Has anyone been "topping off" the system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter tells me occasionally it works very well but I can't make it work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
That certainly sounds like a pressure issue, but lets try something else first.
Just for a quick check, please go to the under hood relay panels and take out the AC clutch relay (narrow panel, rear relay, indicated with a snow flake) and swap it with the horn relay (indicated with a trumpet) from the main relay box.
In this state, will the clutch engage now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No difference
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it only have the one pressure switch? There on the high side line?
And is it possible to change that switch with the system charged?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
It only has the one switch on the high side line, it operates for both low and high pressure cut off, however it is not a old fashioned switch, you can NOT bypass it (if you do you can fry the ecu). The switch can not be changed with the system charged, as it is an open hole underneath rather than a schrader.
What are your low and high side pressures exactly while off?
If you jumper the clutch relay, does the air get cold and what are the pressures then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I'm afraid she had to go home as it is dark. I don't have my gauges here at home to check the high side I had purchased a recharge kit with a low side gauge some years ago. I used that to see that it had positive 110-120 lbs. when I get it again I will try jumping the relay connection if it kicks on then , does that indicate the pressure switch to be the problem?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
The low side pressure is a little bit high but if it hasn't run in a long time it certainly isn't implausible. I'm as much interested in seeing what it does while the compressor is running.
If you jumper it and it doesn't run, then the clutch or oil switch would be at fault, however if it does run it is not that straight forward... we would need to see your pressures first to make a determination there, as you could have the switch failing, there could be a pressure related problem causing the switch to shut it off, there could be a pressure related problem causing the thermistor to shut it off, there could be an actual problem with the thermistor or the ecu.... basically, lots of possibilities.
We can pick up tomorrow when you are able to get those readings if you like, or if you are OK from here out we can close this out. Your call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well if you don't mind we could try tomorrow, can I screw something up jumping the relay ? Ecu etc
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
As long as you jump the load pins ONLY... if you jump the control pins yes you could fry the ecu.
If you have an open relay you can manually "close" or a tester relay that is the ideal of course, or if you have to jumper the socket just pay attention to where the pins go on the relay... the copper pins are the high load pins, the brass are the control pins for the coil. Just jumper the pin sockets that correlate to the copper pins and you will be OK. If you have an aftermarket relay in there with silver pins and brass pins, then the silver are the load pins. If all four pins are the same color (I've never seen this, even on aftermarket relays) then do not jumper any... we would need to either open a relay for manual operation or disassemble the box so we can see the wire colors etc etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great I'll get in touch tomorrow thanks. Have a good evening.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** *****!