Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

My car cranks but wont start

Customer Question

my car cranks but wont start
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
When you turn the ignition key on does the Service Engine light perform its bulb test like normal?
Are you able to check for spark or injector pulse while cranking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does perform the test normally. I checked the spark plugs and tested them but it still doesn't start. I also checked it with starter fluid to the throttle but no luck
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. With it but starting from using starting fluid that really only leaves you with an ignition or compression/timing issue.
To be clear you -did- have spark when cranking?
Does the Service Engine light remain on after the bulb test or does it turn off like normal?
What is the mileage on the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check engine light turns off normally. I checked for spark with a screwdriver to the spark plug wire but i didnt see a spark. I checked the spark plugs and they were fine. Just had some oil on them. Im thinking maybe the ignition coils?Car has 103k.How do i check for compression issues? And timing as in timing belt?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
With no spark, let's perform this inspection first:
Locate the crank position sensor connector, which is the three wire triangular shaped connector by the oil cap.
Unplug the sensor and with the key on check for voltage at the harness connector... We want to see one wire with 12v and one wire with 5v.
If you have that, plug the sensor back in and back probe the 5v wire and rotate the engine clockwise by hand at the crank bolt. Does the voltage alternate on/off?
With regard to compression... A compression tester can be rented from most auto parts stores, then it just goes in to one plug hole at a time and you crank for our five revolutions and take a reading then move on to the next cylinder.