Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a Mitsubishi Galant stock car with a 2.4 L. It just

Customer Question

I have a Mitsubishi Galant stock car with a 2.4 L. It just developed a problem I can't figure out. It runs fine for 3 or 4 laps. Then it starts cutting out on the turns. It feels like it's out of gas. It starts running on the strait away. Runs for a couple of laps and starts again. Any suggestions?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Really the only thing that should be relevant here would be something with the fuel system... nothing in the ignition or compression for example would result in any change of behavior while turning.
Before doing anything I would run your 3-4 laps to create the problem and then fill the tank up with gas. I know this is not ideal for racing, but for our purposes it will be beneficial. If the problem goes away for a few more laps, then you know you are starving the pump in the turns. Keep in mind this vehicle was not expected to be driven in this manner, and the baffles in the tank reflect that. Being under hard turn/bank conditions that fuel is going to slosh quite a bit and the odds of starving the pump are quite high.
If the problem does improve when you fill the tank up after the problem starts, you should consider switching to a fuel cell.
Otherwise I would want to pull the fuel pump out and make sure the pump motor is mounted securely to the housing, that no damage is present to the hoses etc and that the filter sock is attached to the pump motor and not damaged/folded/clogged. Note that the pump housing has a cover over the bottom of it to remove before accessing these bits. If all looks well, then hooking up an in-line fuel pressure gauge would be in order to see what is happening to the pressure while in the turns. Again nothing else would be expected if the problem is 100% in turns only and corrects itself in the straights. Even vapor related issues etc would not change between straights and turns, only fuel pressure/supply would do that.