Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

2006 Galant 2.4, A/C blowes hot air all the time no matter

Customer Question

2006 Galant 2.4, A/C blowes hot air all the time no matter what the temp is set on?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
What are your low side and high side pressures when the clutch is engaged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked them last weekend, don't remember exact pressure. The whole story is the system had a slow leak and loss all freon. I opened the system, replaced o-rings, replaced expansion valve thru the firewall (difficult). Vacuumed the system for an hour, checked it, and it held a vacuum. Charged the system with a 3oz oil charge and one can 12 oz can of Freon. Checked the system running, blowing nothing but hot air no matter what the temperature control is set on. With the engine cold after starting the temp at the center vent was ambient, after a few minutes, when engine is warm and thermostat opens, the temp at the center vent gets above 120F - blowing heat.
Its like the door between heat and cold duct is not moving? only blows hot air?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
This is an electric door control on the 06 so that is plausible.
With the ac running, how long does the clutch cycle on and off each duration?
With the ac running, is the low side refrigerant pipe cold?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clutch does not cycle, I know it should, it remained engaged? I will need to check low side pipe and get back to you with an answer? Any other ideas of things to check or recommendations?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the way, several years ago, i was ASE master certified. Been out of the business for a while but this is my daughters car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have access to a MUT II or III
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem. I apologize for the delays.
The lack of cycling is certainly a concern, so before we even worry about a blend door motor or anything like that lets see just how cold that low side pipe gets.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, be back in about 15 minutes, I'll shoot it with infrared gun for temperature.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Even a hand inspection should be sufficient... Our should be real cold :)
I am going to be out for a break shortly, so if we miss each other I will be with you as soon as I get back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a/c compressor not engaging. need to check pressure. be back later
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem I'll be here.