Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Question to C, You've helped me previously on the

Customer Question

Question to Doug C, You've helped me previously on the automatic transaxle for my "95 Galant. I just dropped in another tranny from PnP and I'm having a problem connecting the shifting cable to the manual control lever. The cable is extending a inch beyond
the coupling hole of the lever. I still don't come close after backing off the stop nut and threading in the connector on the end of the cable. Tried mickey mousing with spacers between the actual mount but thought better of it. I encountered one small problem
on the last swap I did that was annoying but didn't last because the tranny was bad.All the drive letters would light up except D, so if I encounter the problem again, how do I correct? Always a pleasure working with you. Scott W.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Hi Scott,
Did you try comparing the cable support bracket between the two transmissions in case there was a difference there?
Is the cable moving normally otherwise when you move the shifter?
Is there any way to maybe get a photo so I can better see exactly what is going on there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as I can tell, the support brackets are the same, don't have the one side for the newer tranny because it's still attached to the cable of donor vehicle. I'll work on getting you a pic. Please refresh my mind on procedure to upload to site.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem, as long as you are using your old hardware that is fine too.
The best way to get photos up is to upload them to www.imgur.com then post the links here.
Please be aware I have a previous engagement this evening in about an hour where I will be gone for about two hours. If you post in that time I will get back with you as soon as I return.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before I go any further, donor vehicle was a '94.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the VIN from both? 1994 was a bit of a weird year as it came out super early (like February of 93 as opposed to July/August like normal) and there is high probability for a relationship there. Specifically though... shifter cables and transmissions were different on early models versus 95.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I just figured it out. Align control arm to neutral position and "put the shifter in neutral too".
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Hehe... you definitely need to make the two positions agree before they will reach each other :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, since I answered my own question, do I get a refund or credit?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I can't say I helped you much this time :)
You can either leave your deposit on site for next time (do nothing and I can have the question closed), or I can have the deposit refunded (do nothing, and I will put that request in while closing question).
Your deposit like always is not applied until you opt to do so at the end of a question, so if you wish to leave it intact it will just be ready and waiting the next time you open a question.
Just let me know how to proceed and I will close the question accordingly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Positive thinking is that there won't be a next time, so I better take a refund. What other makes would you consider yourself a expert on?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all.
I have extensive experience with Mitsubishi and Toyota specifically. Particularly Mitsubishi of course. While I have a good deal of experience on several makes (Hyundai, Kia, Honda etc) and am quite comfortable on them and help people here with those too, there are others here employed by those manufacturers that have more experience, in the same way I am with Mitsu/Toyota.
I am sending your question for deposit refund now, but of course you can always find me here again if something else comes up.