Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have 2004 endeavor 3.8 i changed the transmisssion and now

Customer Question

i have 2004 endeavor 3.8 i changed the transmisssion and now there is grinding noise coming from the stater. i changed drive plate torque converter stater and still doing the grinding noise
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the VIN from the transmission you installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not at this moment
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
When you originally changed the transmission, nothing else was changed right?
For example you didn't get a new starter at the same time? Was the large bellhousing adapter plate that goes in between the engine and the transmission left on the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I only swapped the transmission and torque converter nothing else until now due to the grinding noise.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I apologize for the delay, there seems to be some issues with our notifications.
If the only thing that was changed was the transmission and converter (specifically the starter is original to the vehicle), and the adapter plate was reused as well, the only plausible scenario here is that you got the wrong transmission (a Galant one for example) which has a different starter spacing or different gear lash on the converter.
If you can get the VIN from the new transmission I can confirm that 100% for you. If the transmission/converter were correct there would only be room for installation error to cause a grinding... the adapter plate missing, something pinched between the bell housing causing the transmission to be pitched slightly, etc.
The starter spacing/lash are NOT adjustable on these vehicles, so any problem there is going to be due to incorrect part or error in installation only.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the vin number you asked for 4a4mm21s95e004245 this is transmission i have now on the car.
this is the vin for the car.4a4mm21s24e009561. what else do you need to help me out. I still haven't got a good answer from you that can help me solve my problem I DONT mind paying the 18 dollars but i want a goood answer I have tried anything you could think of it even had couple mechanics no one cant figure out. help me please
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Those are directly compatible transmissions, so that pretty well rules that out.
If that is the ONLY thing that changed (Again, starters are notorious for poor fitment on these, so an aftermarket starter is enough to throw things way off), then you need to re-check your adapter plate is installed (and you didn't somehow install two of them), and that the replacement torque converter did not have any damage to the teeth etc, and that you are full true to the engine... and not sticking out slightly at the top as is common if the ground cable gets caught in there or if you double up the alignment dowels etc.
I know this can be frustrating, but there is no secret to it or hidden things causing trouble... it is literally a direct swap job. If the ONLY things that were changed were the transmission and converter, your only possible scenarios are a damaged torque converter/ring gear, or an error in installation like mentioned above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything you telling me is been check already i removed the tranny 3 times and double checked it everything new drive plate new torque new starter still having this issue i was really hoping you guys could help me.do i have still have to pay even though you didnt answer my question.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
If you do not want to pay, you don't have to. Just do not issue a rating and no payment is made.
The reality of the situation however is that there is no mystery part or button to push or anything else that is going to fix the problem. You replaced two parts, a transmission and a torque converter. Afterward, the starter has grinding problems that were not present before. If everything you are telling me is true, the ONLY possible causes here are wrong transmission (RULED OUT), damage to the new torque converters ring gear, or an assembly mistake.
That is it. Like it or not, that is it.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to get a second set of eyes on the situation in case there is something you have overlooked or did not realize was incorrect. Again, having replaced only two parts and you now have a problem that was not present before, your ONLY scenarios are a problem with the new replacement parts or an assembly error. That is it. I know you don't want to hear that, but I can't make up some lie to make it sound easier than it is. It is time to start walking backward through your work to either find the problem or pull the converter if it is damaged.
You also mentioned a starter briefly at the beginning, and I have to re-iterate if you used an aftermarket it WILL grind...try putting the old one back on if you do not have the original on there anymore.