Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Doug: , I'm Doug. Thanks to JustAnswer. What's

Customer Question

Doug: Hi, I'm Doug. Thanks for coming to JustAnswer. What's your name? And what is your issue regarding? Customer: Search for the procedure to change cvt fluid in a RVR Doug: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue? Customer: In the shop manual they talk about a "fluid changer" but I don't have one. Doug: OK got it. Last thing -- Mitsubishi Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). But there are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit? Customer: Yes I can wait Doug: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Am I correct in understanding you are wanting to change the CVT fluid?
If so, what specifically do you need help with (fluid type, amount, resetting computer, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought cvt J4 oil from Mitsubishi dealer. They told me It takes 8qt of oil, but in the shop manual they mention the drain plug will give arout 5.81qt. So does it mean about 2qt of old oil remains in the transaxle ?. The dealer use a oil changer which I don't have. so what is the procedure to change cvt fluid the right way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** situation is that I need to change cvt oil in my RVR. The shop manual mentions to use a "cvt fluid changer". So I don't have one. Changing oil using the drain plug is supposed to give me about 5.81qt of old oil, according to the shop manual. The Mitsubishi dealer told me that the transaxle contains 8qt of cvt oil J4. So my question is: what about the about 2qt of old oil remaining in the transaxle?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the clarification.
Without the fluid changer you will want to just do a drain and fill... the remaining fluid is primarily in the torque converter which there is no real way to get out apart from the fluid changer (or dismantling the transmission of course).
When you pull the plug you will lose usually about 4.5 quarts, if you let it sit long enough it will get you close to another quart but it might take some leveling of the car etc. To get the full 5.8 quarts you would need to pull the pan off at the least.
What I do when I am doing a drain and fill on these is pull the drain plug on the bottom of the CVT pan and hold a bucket underneath I can measure the fluid that exits. This way I know -exactly- how much comes out and how much to replace. This is the absolute best bet, as it eliminates the guesswork. Then once refilled, check your level when warmed up of course. Refilling is done through the dip stick tube.
It is important to note that you really should get the CVT oil degradation counter reset after doing this. Resetting the counter REQUIRES a scan tool... there is no way around it. Most professional grade scan tools can do this, or of course the factory scan tool can as well. There is no real harm in -not- resetting it, however resetting it lets the computer know the fluid is fresh an it can optimize operation based on that, rather than compensating for worn fluid that isn't there.
If you have further questions on these we can continue here, of course.