Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Eclipse GS: I'm having trouble with my car alarm

Customer Question

I'm having trouble with my car alarm in my 2003 Mitsubishi eclipse gs. I put the key in the ignition and as soon as I turn it the alarm triggers and won't shut off. I've tried a multitude of things like putting the key in the door and unlocking it, using the same method on the hatch lock but nothing is working.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
I take it you do not have the remote for the alarm anymore?
What happens if you unhook the negative battery terminal, insert the key into the ignition and turn it to On, then reconnect the negative battery terminal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the remote clicker still and the alarm just triggers again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The clicker stopped working when the alarm started acting up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I currently have the wire that powers the alarm unhooked for the reason that my neighbors have complained about the noise, but the lights still flash telling me the alarm is triggered.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about the delay.
When you use the fob, does the alarm turn off and then immediately start going off again or does it just not work to disarm anymore?
Did anything noteworthy happen prior to this condition forming? Like recent repairs or maintenance, or anything water related (water intrusion, windows down in the rain, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The alarm triggers for 30 secs stops for 5 secs and it just repeats this.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
With all lock cylinders failing to cancel it and the fob failing to cancel it, I would have to suspect there is something going on with the ETACS (the part that controls the alarm, among other things).
Can you check the IOD fuses (The two in the yellow "holder" in the under hood fuse panel)?
Would you be comfortable removing the door panel and doing some light wiring to see if we can force the alarm off manually?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would but I don't have any tools handy where I'm at with my car. Also I can turn the key on without triggering the alarm now for some reason. But when I push the done light the alarm triggers
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
The way the alarm works is it looks for a change in voltage in the vehicle... for example when a door opens, the dome lights are turned on causing a increase in voltage/current draw and the alarm goes off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I won't have access to tools until tomorrow.. And now its raining again..
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Would you like to pick up tomorrow morning/afternoon?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be best I think
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem, just reply back here when you are ready to go.
To give you a head start in case you get here before I do:
Once the door panel is off, I want you to identify the three wire harness coming from right behind the door handle. It will attach to the door frame in an accessible spot a few inches away.
Looking at the harness, you will see the three wires are colored Orange, Black, and Light Green/black stripe.
I want you to EITHER short the Orange wire to the Black wire OR tape the Orange wire and run it to ground. Then compare behavior.
While you have it off, take a look behind the door handle area to see if anything looks loose too, just in case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright thank you.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.