Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi outlander sport: my 2013 mitsu outlander sport 2wheel

Customer Question

my 2013 mitsu outlander sport 2wheel drive automatic will not shift out of park this morning.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
When you press on the brake pedal, do you have brake lights operating?
Is there a click sound heard in the center console each time you press down on the brake?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes there are brake lights working, no clicking, it just wont shift out of park.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
The engine is starting up fine correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes the engine is fine
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Great.
Please perform the following for me:
Turn the ignition on but do NOT start the engine.
While listening to the shifter area of the console, repeatedly pump the brake pedal vigorously... do you hear a click/clack sound at all from the shifter area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am no longer with the car, but I never heard a click clack, what would that mean?
someone said something about a shift lock mechanism? Do you know what that is?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
I understand.
The click/clack sound is from the shifter itself... it uses an electronic shift interlock solenoid to prevent taking the shifter out of park without the pedal depressed. Under normal operation when you apply the brake pedal in Park there will be a dull click sound in the shifter as it releases.
Basically at this point we would suspect either the stop light switch or the interlock solenoid itself (serviced as a whole shifter) to be at fault. It would be a good idea to check over your fuses, particularly in dash #12 (7.5A), but realistically I would be more likely to suspect the switch or solenoid. The switches are somewhat common to fail, and about half the time you will lose brake lights too but NOT all the time. The solenoids are not too common to fail unless something was spilled on the console.
The purpose of repetitive pumping of the brake pedal is that when the stop light switch malfunctions, this will usually clean up the contacts temporarily and restore operation for a few hours/days.
If you are under 60,000 miles it is worth noting that this would be a covered repair under your warranty, and would include free towing of the vehicle to the dealership as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
may I call later when I get back home
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
If you are under warranty still by mileage, there certainly is no reason not to. The tow is covered and the repairs are covered through 5 years and 60k on those components.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 35000 miles on it, I will try again when im home to check the things you suggested.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Fantastic.... when you get home check the fuse first, then if it is OK you can do the brake pedal-pumping inspection to see if you can hear the solenoid.
If the solenoid is VERY quiet but still heard every time, the solenoid is bad. If the solenoid is dead silent/unresponsive OR unresponsive then suddenly works, then the stop light switch is bad.
And again at 2 years old and 35k miles, this is 100% covered under your basic warranty, including the tow bill to the dealership... just use the Mitsubishi towing phone number in your owners manual kit to reduce headaches.