Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Hope so, have a 1999

Customer Question

Hi, hope so, have a 1999 galant 2.4 that pops burps and rough idle after warmed up, replaced coils, wires, timing belt and idlers have been changed and head has been r.r'd checked for leaks around intake near TB losing my cool now.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Can you perform a compression test so we can see how balanced the pressure is in the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, was done before doing the head because of low compression, found that 2 valves were bent when timing belt went. compression is about the same in all cylinders now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when cruising at hiway speed has plenty of power and only misses every so often, worse at low speed low rpm or waiting at traffic light,
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
What are the compression readings now?
What sort of operating fuel pressure are you seeing (engine running pressure)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, i did not take readings , mrchanic did, which diagnosed the head problems after timing belt went. fuel pressure regulater was replaced was around 65lbs and damaged 1 injector so that also has been replaced. I belive pressure now is around 45 - 50
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Hmm.
What is the actual idle speed when warmed up and causing issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it idles at about 650-700 rpms and the problem is most frequent and most pronounce from stand still idle to 1500 rms and then becomes less frequent when cruising at hyway speeds of say 60 65
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
runs better from cold start and drive, after warm up and 3-5 miles it really starts bucking and sputtering at idle and low speed driving.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Do you have the ability to data log the vehicle at all, so we can see what some of the sensors are doing when the problem is occurring?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i do not have a code reader, but though all this it has never issued a code i had it checked at local garage for that but nothing.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Data logging isn't using a code reader... but if you don't have a code reader I'm sure you don't have anything capable of data logging either.
I'm not really sure what to tell you at this point; we need much more detailed information to figure out what is going on, and it sounds like it is beyond the scope of the shop you are taking it to as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok then, thanks
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I couldn't be more help... some situations like this are just too involved for this format.